Wish You Were Here

I don’t normally put song lyrics up, but I’ve been listening to Pink Floyd’s songs on repeat the past few days and I realized that I will never find another band that has such brilliant lyrics ever again. Then I got very depressed and emotional, as I always am, because that means I have to resign to the fate of our current generation and listen to crap music for the rest of my life.

This is from their song “Time” :

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it’s sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I’d something more to say.

Don’t know about you, but the lyrical poignancy left me feeling quite dumbstruck for a few minutes. “Noone told you where to run, you missed the starting gun / So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it’s sinking”

Anyway, aside from mulling over deep meaningful lyrics, I’ve also been bawling my eyes out watching Grave of the Firelies. It’s a Japanese animation about two orphans during world war II and it’s extremely depressing but very very well made. I highly recommend it (if you’re not on the brink of suicide, cause after watching it you’ll definitely feel like you’re not worthy of living T__T).

I also rewatched a few Miyazaki films recently – Princess Mononoke, Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki. All his movies, despite being cheerful and meaningful, always leave me feeling…nostalgic and blue. It’s weird, I think I’m just a very emotional person deep inside, which is weirder cause I used to be such a cheerful person. Maybe got bad fengshui wtf

Since I’m currently bumming around, I thought I’d spend some time stimulating my brain so I don’t fall into the dark abyss of being unintelligent and un-opinionated, and started watching some video lectures by this Harvard professor. It’s a series of lectures on Philosophy, so if you’ve always been interested in issues like ethics, political philosophy and justice, then this is a great start!

Even if you’re not interested, I still think you should watch it. We should definitely do away with subjects like Moral and Civics in school and start teaching Philosophy, so that we are taught to think for ourselves and to nurture our own moral principles, instead of TELLING people how to be a good person and a good citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdfcR-8hEY&feature=relmfu – Have fun!

That’s it for now, feeling melancholic a bit hard to blog unless I start churning out some boring serious post again..and I think we’ve had enough of that for now.

1. sj says:

be whoever you want and have to be. if you’re emotional then we accept you for it :)these phases take time and if it’s not a phase, you’re maturing and becoming sensitive to things of the world most people overlook and avoid when embracing it could really change the world.

2. strawberry says:

normally people who are cheerful on the outside are very emotional on the inside, cos they hide more emotions underneath that cheerful facade. so many people describe me as happy-go-lucky but they are all shocked and surprised when they find out how emotional i really am.

you’re fine, girl! just be yourself, even if it means all you are ever gonna blog about in future are politics and philosophy. i will still read you, especially on nights that i can’t sleep wtf

3. ricecracker says:

aih! about a month ago i watched a whole bunch of studio ghibli movies, some new to me and some i’ve watched before – and i agree with you on how it sparks some odd bit of nostalgia and sadness. mostly i feel like life is going by so fast and i need to change my perspective on life -__- why mr miyazaki why you do this to me every time i watch your moovees. i love how quirky studio ghibli productions often are; how the characters are inspiring and have these admirable strong qualities and i feel like i must be patriotic/honest/carefree/loving/hardworking/etcetc like them also -__-; how young and eternally young at heart the characters are; how the creatures are so imaginative as if it could only come from the mind of a bright curious child!

and thanks for sharing that link! i haven’t actually clicked on it, but yes i recently took a mild interest in human rights, so i might find something of interest in there ๐Ÿ™‚

4. ap says:

lol the fireflies gave me and my brother a patch of sunshine in our relations back when i was five, supposedly we cried hugging each other and my dad was very amused by how nice he was to me for like 1 week- then its back to ultraman VS random monster foe(me) ;_;

which is your fav miyazaki? i like spirited away mononoke and nausicaa best

5. yumii says:

Watch Omohide Poro Poro and Mimi wo Sumaseba!!! It’s one of the very few happy endings by Ghibli and they are very poignant and nostalgic. You will feel so much better after watching those! Also, catch their new film, Arietty!

I first watched Hotaru no Haka when I was 15 and I immediately felt suicidal because I’m one of those teenage angst kids who thinks their lives suck. After that film, I feel like I took everything for granted and I really felt like I don’t even deserve to live, I should give my life to Setsuko instead! wtf

But then, I realised since I’m given a healthy life, I should live it for Setsuko!!!!! T____T The worse thing about the film is that it is semi-autobiographical and a little girl did died from malnutrition and starvation during the war. /lesigh..

I watched the film so many times that I don’t even need to watch it anymore because just by thinking of particular scenes in the film, it swells my eyes with tears…

6. chris says:

I always play the entire Dark Side of The Moon album on repeat in the month of my birthday and always share on FB the Time video with the words to the “So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but itโ€™s sinking” verse on my birthday. I think my friends think I’m nuts. Normally people so happy celebrate birthday but I suka isolate myself in room and listen to Pink Floyd…

7. JxDecimo says:

here’s a melancholic idea. ๐Ÿ˜€

Since someone asked for Barry. How about you come clear with a narrative regarding the story? Change the names and all. But the story is the main point. I thought of doing something like that.

But please don’t do it if it’s going to depress you. For how long I would not know. :p

And your friends will hunt me done. HAHAHA!! I wonder how Aud would look like hunting me down.

8. den says:

I miss those days reading your blog with full of laughter, with your “vain” pictures mocking malaysian tudung style. hoho, look like your getting serious these days.

I’ve heard ur gonna be a teacher, all the best ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Zinn Collection Reviews says:

Hello there, I found your blog by way of Google while looking for a related topic, your site got here up,
    it looks good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, simply become aware of your blog via Google, and located that it is
    truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels.
    I’ll be grateful for those who proceed this in future.
    Lots of other folks will be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

10. biofutbol.Com says:

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look.
    I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and amazing design and style.

11. make money online easy says:

Having read this I thought it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put
    this content together. I once again find myself personally spending a lot of
    time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still
    worthwhile!

12. Jene Shen says:

This kind of subject normally doesnโ€™t attention everyone, but you get managed to write this short article within a exclusive manner. Itโ€™s certainly not dull in addition to My partner and i examine the slide devoid of preventing once. Even though not related in order to our web site, well worth linking toโ€ฆ.

13. muscle gaining supplements says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
    though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to
    your weblog when you could be giving us something
    informative to read?