Reset, Go!

Another aspect of being a teacher that has become more essential these days is my ability to adapt and to be flexible when the time comes. Unfortunately for me, I was given practically overnight to suddenly acquire this skill of adapting to changes so adapt I will!

Last week, we were told of a new system to be carried out in 1000 schools almost immediately. All Form 1 students will take an English diagnostic test and will be placed in different classes based on their level of English. They will no longer be in the same conventional setting in existing classrooms but will move to different classes based on their English proficiency. I loved the system when I first heard it cause I have classrooms of kids from varying levels so it’s hard to teach sometimes.

But as usual, all the great changes with our education system come with their million challenges in tow. First of all, there was only ONE English teacher in the entire Form 1, and that teacher was me. We are incredibly short of English teachers and this system will not work because we need 4-5 teachers to teach all the classes concurrently. But since this is an order from the ministry, we have to roll out the system by nook or by crook. In the end, they took away all but 2 of my Form 1 classes and I was given a Form 4 class and two Art classes to teach.

So, almost overnight, I went from a Form 1 and 2 English teacher to a Form 1, 2 and 4 English teacher and a Form 2 Art teacher. Talk about flexibility!

Worst of all, I was given one weekend to prepare for my new classes and I’ve not seen the syllabus before so it was quite tough for me at first. Anyway, I’m not here to complain since I’ve resolved to work with whatever I can within my capacity so here are some pictures! It’s been a while since I last posted pictures and my past two months have been quite eventful so lots to talk about 🙂

This is a picture of the river near my school, and I go here sometimes after a really tough day teaching. It’s nice to just stand there, think and reflect a little and calm down before I go back to lesson planning 🙂

This if my favourite quote from Dr Seuss so I made a poster to put in the reading corner of my class!

Kids reading at the reading corner. Thanks to all the books donation (from UBS and you guys who donated through my FB page!), we’ve gotten enough books to fill a whole cupboard! Would definitely love to have more, ESPECIALLY low level kids’ books with interesting pictures. Do let me know if you have some stowed away at home and you don’t need them anymore!

My goal is not to have kids who can suddenly speak, read and write English, but all I really want to start from is to instill the habit of reading English books first. The more you read, the more things you’ll know!

This is one of the fellows, Aishah’s idea! Spent the whole day making the poster but didn’t laminate so now it’s a bit worn out 🙁 It’s been working well in my classes though. I use it so my students know exactly what is the accepted voice level for each activity in class.

I’ve been using this to cold-call students too and it’s been quite useful. Their names are on the ends of the sticks and I’ll randomly pick them to answer questions in class/read out loud. I also call them out very dramatically like I’m calling the winner of the grand prize of a lucky draw (drama queen teacher haha) and they love it!

Our place is not called Simpang Durian for nothing hahah. Durian season is here so here we are, enjoying some of them in between classes. There’s a sack of at least 20-30 durians for all teachers to eat for free. AWESOME!

Sports Day! I loved Sports Day when I was young cause it’s so exciting! I was probably the most gungho teacher that day, screaming and cheering till my throat was sore but it was all so worth it cause Blue House won!!! wooooot. And the best part is, the girl I coached got Sportswoman Of The Year!

Everything about being a teacher is so incredibly rewarding you have no idea.

Except this…………..

I forgot my sunblock (what travesty!) so here is my two-toned arm. My face is also as black as coal now -___-

Went to class the day after Sports Day and everybody was too tired to learn, so I took these kids out and read to them for two hours. They have never ever been read to before so they really enjoyed the simple books on classic fairy tales. Thanks for the book donation again guys!

Students from the weakest class getting really excited about finding meanings of words from the dictionary! I was so happy when they were genuinely interested in finding the words and some of them are actually opening the dictionary for the first time. The kid on the far left is Rakis, I’ve blogged about him before 🙂 Really happy to see him so invested in the activity!

By the way, see the kid on the far right being disturbed by another kid? Here’s a story I’d like to share about him.

Let’s call him B. He’s one kid I’ve been having a hard time with lately and there’s no happy ending to the story, unfortunately. He’s one of the weakest kids in the class because he cannot read at all and I’ve been giving him extra classes at night for the past 4 months or so. At first, he was doing ok but after a while, he began to lose interest and started disturbing other kids. I told him off and said that I’m not going to allow him to come anymore if he’s not going to take this seriously. Bad move, because he started hating me since.

He stopped coming to extra class and started losing focus in class. It doesn’t help that he’s been bullied so much in class too because he’s the really quiet kind. I’ve sat him down about 3 times after that, asking him what’s wrong and telling him how I want to help him.

This week, they took away this weakest class from me so I don’t have to teach them anymore. The kids in this class were very very upset (some begged me to teach them back, some so upset that they started cussing at me and telling me that I was a bad teacher anyway. Some were also very rude to me and said they want to beat me up. These are kids I’ve invested in the most and I know they’re angry because it seems like I’ve abandoned them despite me explaining the reason of the change)

Anyway I went to the class and said that I’d still continue giving them extra class at night cause these are my kids and they will always be, although I won’t be their English teacher anymore. (The rude ones immediately said “who cares, go away!” It broke my heart but I don’t blame them for their hostility.)

This boy, B, came that night. There were 8 other kids who came and we all had dinner together. One of them cooked for us as gratitude for giving her extra class. Anyway, B came into my house smelling like smoke and we knew he was smoking before so I talked to him about it (very nicely). We let him in after that, of course, but he got really upset since. When I sent him back, he refused to speak to me the entire car ride and he hasn’t spoken to me since then. I saw him again yesterday and brought him out to lunch before sending him back. Again, he refused to speak to me.

That’s him, walking back to his house.

I really don’t know how to get to him, especially now that I don’t teach him anymore. He’s so weak that he has shut off in class for every subject and I’m so so so afraid for him. I’ll keep trying because I know if I give up now, then nobody is going to care for him that much anymore and I’ll live in regret forever for not “saving” him. He’s so quiet and invisible in class that a lot of teachers don’t know much about him, especially when they have to pay attention to the really naughty ones in class.

This is his friend, C, who is also very weak but he’s been showing progress in extra class. I gave him some Peter and Jane books to read at home and he actually copies the entire book in his exercise book so he could read it later!

Over lunch one day, C asked me a lot of questions about KL. He then told me that he’s never been to KL and the furthest place he’s been to is Seremban. I made him a deal after that – if he does better in his English class and if his English teacher says he’s improving, I’ll bring him to KL with me. He was overjoyed at that proposal and nodded vigorously, saying that his parents would be fine with it for sure!

I’ve already decided where I’m going to bring him to, and I know it’ll be a trip he’ll never forget 🙂 I just wish I can bring alllll of them with me!

The kids came for extra class that day and I surprised them with a movie night!!! We used the projector to project onto mahjong paper and had a really good time 🙂

I thought of adding some teaching-unrelated pictures, but this post is already heavy enough as it is so that’s all for today. Thanks for reading and thanks for all the donations!

p.s: watched batman yesterday and it was SO GOOD. watch it!

1. X says:

When I read about your travails as a teacher…I’m reminded very much of one of my favourite books ‘Anne of Avonlea’. It’s the second in a series about an idealistic red-headed orphan girl. The second book is about her adventures as a teacher in a small village school on Prince Edward Island…
    I think you should read it if you can get ahold of it…you might like it. 🙂

2. Lydia says:

It’s so inspiring what you do, not everyone has the gift or passion for teaching. I was forced to teach English to pay for college while in Hong Kong and – albeit the very very touching, rewarding moments – it is certainly not something I would do again even if given the choice. Kudos to you!

3. Jocelyn says:

I’ve been reading your blog since long ago, and I didn’t think I would still love your posts after you switched to writing about students and teaching, but I REALLY DO! haha. plus it’s super refreshing to read about your teaching experiences amongst all the other blogs who talk about fashion and food etc.

I’m always encouraged to comment on your posts after reading them, just to say JIAYOU SUET! ♥

-will head to your fb page to find out more about book donations.

4. ohitstanya says:

Awwwwwwwwww <3 that's all I can say.
    I agree with the person above me. I started reading you blog before and time fly so fast bcoz before you were still blogging about you yourself and now you're career/passion! 🙂 (i'm 17 lol wtf)

5. ef.ae says:

back in the days, my school went by that method as well. for add. maths, english and bm. 3 classes combined and then seperated into 3 classes again according to our levels on that particular subject. i think it is really good so that all can move at their own pace. but ofcourse, it is gonna be tough if there is not enough teachers =/

i’d be sad too if the teacher i look up to suddenly stop teaching 🙁 but i hope the kids keep improving..

6. G says:

Good luck with kid B Suet! Don’t give up on him yet! I know you can do this! You are so inspirational to a lot of people, keep that in mind and I hope you’ll stay strong throughout your 2 years journey in TFM. 🙂

7. KY says:

you could be the best teacher these kids will ever have. I had only one that was of your dedication in primary school, and after more than 25 years we still keep in touch with that teacher. can’t tell you how much many of us admire what you’re doing.

8. fern says:

you are amazing! (:

I’m reading this at 3.15am and the warm fuzzy feelings oozing out of this blog post is making me chirpy and hyper. You’re inspiring more than the kids, you’re inspiring people who follow your teaching journey online too 😀

9. Amanda says:

After awhile, the fashion and party blogs seem mundane to me, but I find myself coming back to your webpage because there’s so much to think about here. Your passion, sincerity, good-heartedness and determination is one of a kind. Don’t ever lose it, Suet Li.

10. Nr says:

Keep up the great work, 🙂 and sorry to hear about the student b.. try to my to let that being you down. And you are still lovely with a two tone tan and charcoal face 🙂

11. elle says:

i’ve been reading your blog for ages now and i’m finally leaving you a comment. I just want you to know that I think you’re a really great person, and I really look up to you. please don’t stop blogging about teaching and your students! I enjoy reading them 🙂

goodluck! 😀

12. Su says:

You’ve probably heard it one too many times but really, what you’re doing would have an impact in the hearts of your students one day… one fine day.

Sow and you shall reap! You’re doing good, I’m keeping you in prayer.

13. MimieJay says:

Thank you for sharing your journey with us readers.. It was very enlightening! I never really was bad student..but there was one trainee teacher who was really boring and we the bad student berpakat untuk pura2 tidur in her class.. To make the situation worse, it was during her evaluation. I never knew sleeping was disrespectful back then, one of my teacher told us that she ended up crying at the toilet.

Until today I regretted on agreeing with my classmates. I believe your student will feel the same way with your earnest dedication.

14. Mei says:

This is the first time I’ve come across your blog. I salute your dedication and your courage in choosing to teach, to leave your comfort zone, and to take the road less travelled.

15. marklee says:

Typically I really don’t go through posting for sites, on the other hand want to express that that write-up incredibly motivated my family to see and also do it! Your way of writing have been amazed my family. Many thanks, pleasant posting.

16. oreo 5s says:

I acquired any oreo 5s Triplet Bailey links inside Black as an addition to this primary combine (Big Classics inside Desert sand). I wanted additional pattern as well as hoped for the identical level of comfort and also match just as my favorite Typical Talls. My Antique Talls remain my favorite of the two. The Baileys are identical specifications Ten, yet sense a 1/2 capacity too big together with the healthy is noticeably looser. The paving moreover senses thin and not just seeing that lush because wool felt on my little Video game titles.I really like the look of these particular, though normally get on my own grabbing any Timeless classics.

17. Pingback: URL
  18. duvetica milano ando says:

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such fantastic info being shared freely out there.

19. botas ugg baratas says:

Once i saw these I’d to consider them! I was elated once they arrived! They’re soooo incredibly smooth, and beautiful! I have under no circumstances stepped in something this remarkable..it can be like heaven ! I like how furry they may be.it is really really one of a kind and they’re considerably extra furry than they appear inside the photograph =) I’ll surely be ordering a lot more botas ugg baratas in the future!

20. sito moncler says:

obviously like your web site however you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to inform the reality on the other hand I will certainly come again again.

21. parajumpers long bear says:

Between every amusement regarding design, prestige misty seas Bangalore can be found at from the plushest place for Hebbal, off of ORR. That place is invariably attainable from important areas while in the The philipines Japan Emergency room, Respect Local retailer, Hebbal Ocean, Hebbal flyover, Tumkur roads, Manayata Mechanic Park and many more. .

22. ana tranny says:

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time
    to be happy. I’ve learn this publish and if I may just I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.
    I want to learn more things approximately it!

23. Pingback: pillarapps.com
  24. goedkope ugg says:

I coach elementary faculty so it is amazing to be able to have on my goedkope ugg all day and after that head out for recess responsibility rather than should transform footwear. They are really pleasant and supportive.

25. ugg aanbieding says:

These are definitely the most effective ugg aanbieding ive ever owned. Been a lover of ugg aanbieding for many years and these are generally the ideal most exclusive model ive actually viewed. They can be extremely good. I could not be more happy with them. Ive worn them out for only like 2 hours tonight and had Everybody searching at them a lot of compliments, couldnt believe it. These are the Needs to have of this time of year!

26. ugg aanbieding says:

These ugg aanbieding are awesome! in which they had been spilled on, put on through sand, mud, grime & rain, on the beach! They ended up a breeze to clean & look like new even after all that! I will always buy ugg aanbieding! I just hope they come out with more styles

27. ugg heren says:

These ugg heren are so cozy! They can be informal in style but however have adequate flair to search place collectively. These are typically my 2nd ugg heren’s and that i am going to just take significantly better care of them .

28. ugg uitverkoop says:

They are undoubtedly the top ugg uitverkoop ive actually owned. Been a lover of ugg uitverkoop for many years and they are the ideal most exclusive type ive ever before witnessed. They are extremely good. I could not be additional delighted with them. Ive put on them out for only like 2 hrs tonight and had Everybody searching at them loads of compliments, couldnt believe that it. These are typically the Will need to have of this year!

29. ugg says:

I dress in ugg nearly each day dwelling ,I obtained them and acquire loads of compliments.I noticed them although browsing retail store but could discover them there so really happy I discovered them in your website.

30. Pingback: texto interesante
  31. Pingback: microrna monster
  32. parajumpers norge says:

Hello there, I found your website by way of Google while looking for a
    comparable matter, your site came up, it looks great.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, just became aware of your blog thru Google,
    and located that it is truly informative. I’m gonna watch
    out for brussels. I will appreciate in the event you proceed this in future.
    A lot of other folks might be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

33. ugg aanbieding says:

These are generally the absolute swankiest ugg aanbieding actually!!! Everywhere I wear them (genuinely In all places) men and women prevent me and ask what, wherever, etcetera. and the way for getting them for on their own…What a Large!!! I really like the way in which they experience , regardless of what I’m doing they are nice, soothing, , and just the ideal at any time! ugg aanbieding have generally been the best, but now they win the award of awards…Sporting these all day, all night time, wherever for whatsoever, they’re the top from the tops – ..Just the most beneficial reward I could have gotten this holiday break time of year…WOW!!!

34. Pingback: music promotion