Awesome kids are awesome

A few updates:

1. I’m making a more concerted effort to blog more again for several reasons.ย Firstly, it doesn’t actually take thaaat much time and I’m a lot more free these days (kids are having their exams next week!) so no excuse not to blog!

Secondly and more importantly but shamelessly, I need to start writing advertorials again to earn my side income so I have to blog more to maintain/increase my traffic. Recently, we TFM fellows got a pay cut. Seriously don’t ask why, I don’t even know why too. All I know is we had to resign a new contract, got a pay cut AND worst of all, have to pay back for the increment we got since January. It’s a heck lot of money, money I don’t have. So don’t mind me if I start putting ads again on my blog ok? A teacher’s gotta eat.. (though I’m trying to lose weight these days..)

2. I learned how to ride a motorcycle!!!!!!!

I’ve never really wanted to learn before but recently, I’ve been peer-pressured into it. Well, peer pressure is the wrong term to use because my kids are the one that influenced me, so it’ll be like…”student-pressured” into it? Haha. ALL the kids here can ride a bike, and they made fun of me for not being able to ride one!

“Hahhhh how can teacher? It’s soooo easy!”

“Teacher, you can’t be like us kampung people if you can’t ride one!”

“What?? Even a 10 year old can ride a motorbike!” (it’s true)

See, such bad influence!

Anyway, I’m actually pretty good at it now! And the worst part is, it’s super addictive! Hahaha this sounds like a vice already. But after learning how to ride one, I really get why my kids love to ride around the village “just for fun” because damn, it’s so freaking fun! The wind blowing in your hair, the adrenaline rush, the DANGER, the power in your hands…

So, I’ve been grabbing any motorbike I see and begging the owner to let me ride. They let me use it all the time cause I’m a teacher ma, and they respect me a lot here. Then, I’ll bring a random student to ride around the paddy fields and the village to sightsee, and we’ll talk about all sorts of profound and thought-provoking things like the latest gossip in school and how their lives are like.

It’s really moments like this that I will remember for the rest of my life once I leave this place.

Me, riding a motorbike around the village and in the woods, with teenagers, who would have thought?

3. Speaking of kids (am I not always talking about them anyway?), I’m really REALLY sad today. There are these two girls (who are sisters) whom I’ve been hanging out with everyday, playing badminton or basketball, or just talking about life. I know their whole family and I’m like the resident guest in their house. Their mom cooks for me and gossips with me, the baby of the house clings on to my leg when I visit, and they always fling the door open excitedly when they hear my car engine outside.

I found out today..that they are shifting away next month T____________T

I was so upset when I heard it because they’ve become my best friends here. They confide in me all the time and I would always talk about life with them. I’ve shown them my pictures overseas and shared with them all my experiences. They’re only 15 and 16, but seeing their excitement and love for me everyday makes my day.

And now they’re moving away forever T____________T

I was seriously going to cry when I heard it. I’m never supposed to invest my emotions so heavily on my kids but it’s hard when you live in a place where there’s no one you know with no family. They ARE my family.

I think I’m going to cry buckets later when I bid them goodbye. I HATE losing my kids, can’t imagine how I’d feel next year when I leave.

4. This is a bit of a good news to end the post. Recently, our school’s choral speaking team was invited to perform for the Teach For Malaysia 2013 Cohort’s opening dinner! When I told my kids, they wereย ecstatic!

“Teacher, we’re good enough to perform for people!”

YES you are! So proud of all of you ๐Ÿ™‚

So we’ve been practising everyday with the script I wrote from scratch. It’s been quite tough because their exams are next week and the performance is in 3 weeks! But we still have to use a new script anyway cause half the team consists of new members who begged me to let them join in after seeing how fun it is.

The best part of my week today is when this boy (who joined the choral speaking team that won the district championship last time but didn’t want to join this time) came to me and said this: “Teacher, can I join the team? I told my dad that I didn’t join this time and he scolded me. He said I must join because I can improve my English!”

It completely makes my day because it means my effort to build relationships with the parents have been worth it! I’ve spoken to his dad before and have said many good things about his son, and how he should be proud to have a son like that and how he has done a good job raising him. So for him to actually tell his kid to join despite the exams shows that he really believes in me to help his kid’s English ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Can’t stop smiling!

The kids have also been working very hard. I’ve started putting my dictator face on again so every practice has been quite challenging for me and them. I need to be hard on them because I expect so much from everyone and I know they’ll do amazing.

Then, a girl who just joined the team told me today that choral practices are what make her days now. She’s having so much fun and although it’s tough but she loves it! These kids hardly speak a sentence of English in real life but they have to speak FIVE pages of English confidently and enthusiastically now.

Haih just talking about how awesome they are makes me want to weep like a baby now.

Sorry for this really long post but I hope you enjoyed reading about what I’ve been up to!

p.s: thanks for subscribing to my mailing list! Will definitely try to write more protected posts so you don’t sign up in vain ๐Ÿ˜›

1. yuhhui says:

the feeling of riding a bike is realy awesome yeah!!that gush of wind.. makes u feel alive right? but if possible, tel the kids to becareful even tho its a kampung area..make sure they wear helmets etc . saw too many accident cases in the ward.. saw one 14year old boy with his leg amputated off coz of an accident. most accident cases i saw these few weeks involved kids younger than 20.=( you take care too k

2. BTP says:

So, you are making a living (not full time) as a blogger. Hey, I enjoy reading your blog, better than reading newspaper every day.
    I tried the motorbike once when I was 15-16 in Vietnam. It was catastrophic.
    Later on, I had a small one in Lyon (France). It was tough in winter, but better than bike.

3. Tan Yee Hou says:

Whooot motorbike gang FTW!

I’ll take my grandpa’s EX5 to your place the next time I go to Kuala Pilah, then you borrow whatever bike you can get, then we get someone of the opposite gender to ride with us like a prize wtf.

awek or balak wtf.

4. HiLo says:

Cikgu, reading yr blog makes my day, too. Believe me, you already making an impact in the lives of the kg folk by yr sincerity to help them.

Yr kids will remember you the rest of their lives. It will influence their value system long after you leave them. Am speaking from experience.

Am 55, working as a reporter. We still go back to our childhood even reaching our twilight years, tho i am now only in the autumn of my life. Our values are formed during childhood and those impressionable age.

Cikgu, you are more than a teacher but a friend and confidant. It takes great courage in investing yr emotion in them cos its going to break yr heart as you already know when it is time to say goodbye.

Joy and sorrow, a very fine line. If you dare not face sorrow, you would not know what joy is.

god bless yr kindness and watches over your going and coming.

5. Dar says:

Sounds amazing – everything that you are experiencing and doing for the kids that is ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep writing as I know I personally enjoy reading about all your escapades LOL

6. HiLo says:

Cikgu, you know why so many people are addicted to your blog? Some complimented you on yr writing which i cannot disagree.

What makes you a good writer? You write to express, whilst 2nd rate writers write to impress hidden behind high flown language.

I tabik spring you for sharing warts and all. You make yourself vulnerable. In the process, readers can identify with you, fully human and fully alive.

So much I have learnt from you about life and another reality. In fact, you have enriched my life as a reporter by your perspective. I should also add that you have motivated me to strive, to seek and not to yield.

Thank you once again for including me in your mailing list.

7. ST says:

Hello Google plus noob here o.o you’ve included me in your circle but I can’t seem to to find the password LOL. This is so sad ๐Ÿ™ I can’t find it in my email either. how does Google plus work ;(

8. t3ngt3ng says:

Same here. Couldn’t locate any password for the new post since past few days although I was in the circle. But just check my google and now I wasn’t in the circle anymore :'(((( So sad

9. Amy says:

Like your blog very much… Glad you continue write blog again… =]
    I rode bike for only once without my mom knowing and my uncle secretly rode with me for a small round… It was frightening and fun ^^

10. Chong KY says:

the part of learn ride moto, funny.
    the part of two kids and their family shifting away,touching.
    … and “Will definitely try to write more protected posts so you donโ€™t sign up in vain”, hahaha

11. Shao Ying says:

you are a great teacher. I enjoy reading it. Keep writing okay! I am really touched seeing the time, effort and emotion you have given to your kids. That’s really impressing.

12. san says:

i’m so excited for you and ur new life! omg it sounds so fun riding motorcycle! =D i wish i can ride one too… i used to live at my grandma kampung when i was little… reading your post brings back old sweet memories. i hope you will always be happy and cheerful!

13. Kaitlin Goh says:

I’mma visit your blog everyday to bring traffic up! (By…one haha) Love your spirit, Suet Li. So sad that I missed the mailing list. Yeah, it was kind of a long time ago, so my bad! Again, you are an inspiration!

14. pearly penile papules says:

What і d&X6f; not und&X65;rstood is actually how you
    arе no longer really a lot more well-liked than you &X6D;ay bе right now.
    You’re so intelligent. You already know thеrefοre significantly on the subject of this t&X6F;pic, ρroduceԁ
    me indivіԁuа&X6c;ly c&X6F;nsi&X64;er it from a lot of nume&X72;ous angleѕ.
    Its likе men &X61;nd women are not involved except it іs οne &X74;hіng to accomplish ωi&X74;h Woman gaga!
    Your own stuf&X66;s outsta&X6e;&X64;ing.
    Аt all timеs &X74;ake cаre of it
    up!

Feel fr&X65;e to surf to mу web ѕite – pearly penile papules

15. read the full info here says:

Τhey put in a lot of sucсess and suсcessfu&X6C; tr&X61;сk record οf wi&X6e;nin&X67; anԁ &X74;hat аlways
    ѕtemmed f&X72;оm the http://dallasjanitorialservice1.com/dallas-janitorial-service/ relationѕhіp webuіlt wit&X68; the SBA.
    We want to t&X68;аnκ you for inviti&X6e;g us t&X6f; be able to at least have the opp&X6F;г&X74;unі&X74;y to be able to host the Sma&X6c;l Businesѕ, andd Laω librarіa&X6E; at thе Ѕt.

My blog read the full info here

16. Pingback: pillar apps