A teacher’s worst nightmare

These are some of the updates I posted on Facebook recently so thought I’d just put them here too.

Last week, something horrifying and traumatizing happened, and it’s especially scarier now that i’m a teacher so i feel like a parent to all my kids.

After choral speaking practice, the kids left and went back home. I drove out to get lunch and I saw a crowd a little further down the road from school. I rolled my window down to ask if anyone needs a ride, and the sight that greeted me back shocked me so much my heart stopped.

Lying on the road, was my student. There was blood all over his face and arms and legs. Someone carried him into my car and we immediately rushed him to the clinic. When we were there, I held on to his hand while we waited for the doctor. His face was in an UTTER mess. His lips were split, there was thick red blood all over. On his eyelids, on his nose, on my hands, on my baju kurung. He was semi conscious and was slipping into unconsciousness, so I had to keep telling him to WAKE UP! Don’t sleep, please hold on! I’m here look at me! while maintaining eye contact. It was hard because I’m really not a fan of gory films but I need him to know that I’m there.The doctor took over after that and his friends (all kids from my class) helped me clean the blood off my car. There were stains all over. Splotches on my seat, on my badminton racket, on my shoes, on my books, on my dumbbells. But we cleaned and cleaned in silence.

He was then rushed to the hospital in a further town because he suffered memory loss as well. He was riding his bike when he lost control, and he was flung out of it and hit his head on the lamp post.

I will never forget the look of fear and pain in his eyes, the blood on his long eyelashes, him softly saying “tolong…tolong…tolong” despite us being in the clinic already. Just thinking about it gives me the lump in my throat. I really hope he gets well soon!

—–
This was my initial post. Two days later, we heard that this boy had been discharged from the hospital so we went to visit after choral practice!

Before I went in the house, all my kids who were already there rushed out to warn me of how gory his face was. I cringed but rushed in to see him, and found him sitting sadly on the couch. His face was indeed a mess – he had seven stitches on his forehead, three on his lips. His lips were swollen to three times its size and he’d lost a few teeth. His whole body was covered with wounds as well, and he can’t walk nor move much. He also broke a rib.

He was clearly very very down and sad. The first thing he said to me was “Teacher, sorry saya tak dapat pergi choral speaking (sorry I couldn’t go choral speaking)”

When I heard that I was so freaking sad!!! This kid just went through a really bad time and all he thought of was upsetting me. The conversation moved on to his accident, to road safety etc but then he said again:

“Teacher how was the choral practice?”
“Teacher, I’m sure everyone will perform well”
“Teacher, I wish I could join choral”

Again and again. I was so touched I wanted to cry. Even thinking about it again makes me want to cry. I told him that the spot is still open for him but he doesn’t have to perform, I just want him to go and see his friends perform, provided of course if he’s healthy enough. His mom who was there was happy and said she gives her consent for me to bring him out. His eyes lighted up and he said he really wants to go. Everyone who was there clapped and cheered. It was such a joyous moment T__T

“Teacher, do you think people at the event will laugh at my face?”

“No way, I’ll laugh at THEIR face if they do” (I know I’m such a bad role model hahah)

Then after a while, he said: “Teacher, thank you for saving me. I heard you asking me to wake up wake up don’t sleep. I couldn’t remember whose voice was that but now I remember”

T______________T I had to tahan macho cos so many students were there but I was really touched. I kept looking at him and smiling cause he looked SOOO sad but then he started tearing so I teared too wtf *weak

Then I remembered that I’m a teacher and I should be stern and all so I gave him (and other kids) a good lecture on road safety and how he’s been given another chance at life and how he should appreciate it and how hard his mom raised him and so on. After being a teacher, I’ve learned to spin a ton of moral values out of any situation. If I take SPM Moral again, I’d have gotten A1 for sure this time!

1. Sandra c says:

Dear suet lee thank u for posting this n reminding me of how fragile life is and how students can really cling n get that soft spot in our hearts. I’m reading this in sch n yes I almost teared up too. Thank u again

2. HiLo says:

Very touched by your caring for your kids which goes beyond the classroom.

You have made the world a better place by your little acts of kindness.

Reading this made my day and fills me with hope and to spread kindness.

3. HiLo says:

Your life as a teacher is like a prayer. Touching lives and giving hope. When you reach out to your kids and families, it is like you answer a heart’s yearning which might not be uttered because it is beyond imagination why a stranger from afar comes into their lives.

I don’t think any one of them would have thought you have come not only to teach but so concerned for them, let alone meeting you in their lives.

4. Andie says:

Wow. You are one of the kindest person around.No words can say how much you really mean to those students. Wish there are more people like you around. In case if you need any help or donations for the student, just let me know, ya. God bless you.

5. zorro says:

Thanks chegu. Brings back memories of how important we are to our extended family – our kids in school. You have been on my blogroll. Keep the flame alight….teachers like you are hard to come by these days…. I am told by friends in education.

6. a teacher too says:

i really salute u, babe! for a girl like u, glamourous, exciting, fashionable, can be so dedicated to ur work as a teacher, which often to be thought, boring and dull. furthermore in a kampung which has no life at all. u r the man! my first few years in rural was hell.

7. Elvera says:

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep
    a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really loved what you had to
    say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

8. Larhonda says:

Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you suggest starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out
    there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations?
    Many thanks!

9. Inez says:

You are so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve truly read something like
    that before. So nice to find someone with some unique thoughts on this issue.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

10. Leonor says:

Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my
    old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have
    a good read. Thank you for sharing!

11. jordans for sale says:

I’m impressed, I have to say. Certainly rarely do I encounter a blog that is both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I am especially happy that I stumbled across this in my search for some thing relating to this.
    jordans for sale

12. Ebony says:

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I
    think I might never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely huge for me.
    I am looking forward on your next publish, I’ll try to get
    the grasp of it!